Monday, July 28, 2008

Jens Lekman/"Night Falls Over Kortedala" (Secretly Canadian)



Okay, I have to say it. I feel compelled. This kid’s a complete nerd. A complete Swedish nerd! Now, having said this, I am equally compelled to say that he is in my inestimable opinion, inarguably one of the most talented nerds working in the recording industry today. I loved, loved, loved his first cd and this one is just as good, often even better.



Using the voice of a child as prologue to a song is no new idea, but when Jens does it, mixed with his slightly eschewed time signatures and tongue in cheek sincerity, it’s just a fail proof method of making me commence to playing pocket pool. I’ve seen Jens perform several times now and I can honestly say that he never fails to deliver…and with a singularly charming and oh so clumsy expertise. Whether he’s fucking up the lyrics or perpetually tuning his cheap ass guitars, Jens Lekman always comes up smelling like a dirty magazine you got stuffed away under your mattress. You know the smell. Don’t play!



I defy anyone, and I’m talking grannies and thugs alike, to give Jens a spin, and say that they don’t love him. It’s like you’re in the waiting room of some over priced shrink’s office, with the Bacharach and David piped in, eve’s dropping on some chubby pre-pubescent who’s forced to see a shrink because she can’t stop eating vanilla zingers with peanut butter, and somehow still believes that someone will love her one day.
emile

No comments: